- This summary
- +380.000 other summaries
- A unique study tool
- A rehearsal system for this summary
- Studycoaching with videos
A snapshot of the summary - Abnormal Psychology
1 introduction and historical overview
how do we call the field concerned with the nature, development, and treatment of mental disorders?psychopathology
how do we call the destructive beliefs and attitudes held by society that are ascribed to groups considered different in some manner?stigma
what are the four characteristics of a stigma?
- a distinguishing label is applied
- the label refers to undesirable attitudes
- people with the label are seen as different
- people with the label are discriminated against
what are the characteristics of a mental disorder?
- occurs within the individual
- involves clinically significant difficulties in thinking, feeling, or behaving
- it involves dysfunction in processes that support mental functioning
- it is not a specific reaction to an event
- it is not primarily the result of social deviance or conflict with society
of which components does a mental disorder consist?
- personal distress
- violation of social norms
how do we call impairment in some important area of life?disability
how do we call an internal organism is unable to perform its natural ability.dysfunction
how do we call the doctrine that an evil being or spirit can dwell within a person and control his or her mind and body?demonology
how do we call the ritualistic casting out of evil spirits?exorcism
hypocrates was the first to regard the brain as the organ of the mind, and stated that illness of any kind would have a natural cause rather than a religious one. In which three categories did he classify mental disorders?
- phrenitis, or brain fever