Study Cards on law, silk, britain
What is the abbreviation QC after a persons name?
It means Queens Counsil (his or her Majesty's Counsil learned in the law.)
- The basis of its law is closer to Roman and Dutch law.
- The names of officials are different (barristers = advocates)
- There are three (not two) possible verdicts: Guilty, not guilty or not proven, which means the accused person cannot be punished but is not completely cleared of guilt either.
- Highest court in UK = Supreme Court, in Scotland = High Court of Justiciary
Being called to the bar means that a person is qualified to argue in a court of law
- unconditionally discharged without punishment
- conditional discharge and/or suspended sentence or put on probation (regular meetings with a social worker)
- a fine
- community service
- life sentence
- Higher grades + faster learning
- Don't study anything twice
- 100% sure, 100% understanding