- This summary
- +380.000 other summaries
- A unique study tool
- A rehearsal system for this summary
- Studycoaching with videos
A snapshot of the summary - Business Analysis
Session 1 - Business Analysis
What are the goals of Business Analysis?- Essential component of successful organizations
- Improves efficiency and effectiveness of business processes
- Improves decision processes
- Allows the company to stay competitive
- Enable workgroup collaboration
What are the four 'domains' in Business Analysis?Vocabulary, rules, processes, and strategy
What do you need to understand for doing Business Analysis?- How an organization works
- Why the organization exists
- What the organization's goals and objectives are
- How the organization those goals and objectives accomplishes
- How the organization needs to change to better accomplish those objectives and/or overcome challenges
What is a solution?A solution meets a business need by solving problems and/or enabling the organization to take advantage of an opportunity.
What are the different steps or phases in developing information system solutions?It can be defined in steps:
Investigate, Analyze, Design, Implement, Maintain
Or in phases:
Project planning phase, Analysis phase, Design phase, Implementation phase, Support phase
What is a reason for doing Business Analysis?Many projects fail due to no undestanding of the organization the system is built for, no incorporation with the business user, or no attention for processes, integration, discipline etc.
What is a Business Analyst?A business analyst works as a liaison among stakeholders in order to elicit, analyze, communicate, and validate requirements for changes to business processes, policies, and information systems.
The most important element is the business focus; ensuring business needs are understood and communicated so that the final solution meets the business needs.
Another definition is:
A business analyst works as a liaison among stakeholders in order to understand the structure, policies, and operations of an organization, and to recommend solutions that enable the organization to achieve its goals.
What are the knowledge areas of the BABOK?Business Analysis Planning and Monitoring, Enterprise Analysis, Elicitation, Requirements Analyis, Solution Assessment and Validation, Requirements Management and Communication, and Underlying Competencies
Tell something about the Enterprise Analysis area of the BABOK.- It gives an understanding of the "big picture"
- In this area you define the business goals the solution must meet
- Here you integrate the requirements into a larger business architecture
- Initiatives are supported and a long term planning will be created
- A strategic planning will be created, a business case will be developed, the Cost Benefit Analysis will be done, and also feasibility studies
- The question "Why are we doing this?" will be answered
Tell something about the Elicitation area of the BABOK.- It has a focus on gathering the requirements from various stakeholder groups
- The tasks, knowledge and techniques for capturing requirements will be identified
- The question "What do the stakeholders need?" will be answered