3 questions on "South Africa - Wine Regions - Cape South Coast Region"
- Suitable area for Sauvignon blanc, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir
- Strongly influenced by the cooling influence of the Atlantic Ocean
How does this influence the style of wines, and what varieties are planted?
- 70km south-east of Cape Town
- Inland plateau 200-400 m above sea level
- Considerable cooler climate
- Lower temperatures, cold nights due to:
- Cloud cover
- Ocean cooling influences
- > Long growing season
- Enough rainfall (1.000mm)
- Fungal diseases can be a risk
Styles of wine:
- Elegant, fresher style, with higher acidity
- Also some sweet botrytised wines
- Sauvignon blanc, Chardonnay, Riesling, Pinot Noir, Merlot and Shiraz.
- Paul Cluver
- Richard Kershaw wines (super premium Chardonnay)
- Higher grades + faster learning
- Never study anything twice
- 100% sure, 100% understanding