- This summary
- +380.000 other summaries
- A unique study tool
- A rehearsal system for this summary
- Studycoaching with videos
A snapshot of the summary - Media Psychology
What are 5 attributes of media psychology? (Okdie)1. Fidelity (trouw)
5. Content: content, attribute interactions
What is the essential of article of Okdie et al.?They review current media research and conclude by presenting a framework for the study of media by psychologists that focuses on the key attributes by which media vary.
What are the two classic theories that guide our understanding of media learning? (HC 2)- LC4MP (Lang)
-Cognitive theory (Bandura)
What does LC4MP theory includes? (Limited capacity model - Lang)The Limited Capacity model of motivated mediated message processing (LC4MP) is a data-driven model developed to investigate the real-time processing of mediated messages.
What are the three basic steps of info processing according to LC4MP (Lang)?1. Encoding -> selecting information from environment
2. Storage -> creating long term representation of information
3. Retrieval -> both in response to questions and dynamically.
It’s not always exactly in this order!
What are two pathways of resources allocation? (toewijzing van middelen)1. Controlled (voluntary)
2. Automatically (involuntary): stimulus properties direct the allocation, orienting response (new stimuli and important stimuli through learning)
Automatic allocation of resources: what draws our attention?1. Features that are new and unexpected in present environment: stimulus properties: e.g. vocal changes, camera changes. These features may lead to cognitive overload.
2. Object (and features) that are motivationally are important for us: current (conscious or unconscious) goals.
What are two motivational forces for survival?1. Appetitive (approach) examples: hot guy, baby, sweet food.
2. Aversive (avoidance) examples: snake or spiders.
What are implications (gevolgen) of the LC4MP?-We cannot turn of our attention
-Our learning from media is dependent on form, content and individual resources
-Individiduals focus on what is relevant to them
-Relevant is independent of conscious awareness-dependent on motivational processing
What are the strengths of LC4MP?1. You can apply it to all kinds of media
2. You can apply it to multiple kinds of messages
3. You can apply it to all kinds of situations
4. You can apply it to all kinds of users