Study Cards on democracy, political, system
2) The essence of democracy is compromise, in which living together in peace goes over force and power
3) Democracy operates with a feedback system (elections) with inputs and outputs
- Process of compromise, conciliation and negotiation --> through this, rival interests and groups find a way of living together in relative peace. Power gets dispersed, and everyone gets a voice.
- Feedback system. It brings the outputs of government into line with the inputs or pressures placed upon it. Tends towards long-term political stability.
> performance legitimacy: democratic societies tend to enjoy widespread prosperity and are effective in delivering 'the goods'
--> generates public acceptance.
>they are often also liberal --> offer opportunities for personal freedom and social mobility.
2. New political forces have emerged to threaten conventional democratic structures. (e.g. Donald trump).
1. The right to rule is gained through success in regular and competitive elections, based on universal adult suffrage
2. Constraints on government imposed by constitution, institutional checks and balances and protections for individual minority rights
3. a vigorous civil society including a private enterprise economy, independent trade unions, and a free press
- performance legitimation; deliver rising living standards, public order, improved education, health care etc. (this happens in China; generating high and sustained levels of economic growth).
- ideological legitimation; to uphold the leader's, military's or party's right to rule (Gadaffi proclamation of a Green revolution), or to establish broader goals and principles that invest the larger regimes with a sense of rightfulness (Marxism-Leninism).
If these strategies fail, however, all semblance of legitimation evaporates.
- Higher grades + faster learning
- Never study anything twice
- 100% sure, 100% understanding