Study Cards on law, state, established
- State is obliged to treat citizens equally in legislation, when they formulate and implement laws.
> control of power through institutional design
> checks and balances and/or diffusion of power
- Independent and impartial judiciary
- Due process
> Law established in advance
> innocent until proven guilty
> no arbitrary arrest
> no inhumane treatment
> fair, speedy and public trial
(Primary rules: regulate social behaviour and can be thought of as the 'content' of the legal system (criminal law f.e).
Secondary rules: rules that confer powers on the institutions of government. They lay down how primary rules are made, enforced and adjudicated).
This is why liberals place such an emphasis on the universal authority of law, embodied in the principle of the rule of law.
- Higher grades + faster learning
- Never study anything twice
- 100% sure, 100% understanding