Study Cards on rules, charismatic, links
2) Charismatic = because of the persons personality
3) Legal-rational = links to a clearly and legally defined set of rules
Three ideal types to make sense of the nature of political rule:
- Traditional authority
- Charismatic authority
- Legal-rational authority
Fixed and unquestioned customs.
In tribes or small groups in the form of patriarchalism (domination of the father) and gerontacracy (rule of the aged).
( Constitutional form helps to shape political culture by keeping alive values).
(Napoleon, Hitler, Mussolini, Castro etc.)
- It is difficult for a system of personal rule to outlive its founding figure, as the system is so closely linked to him/her.
Downside: more depersonalized and inhuman social environment.
2. These rules must be justified in terms of the shared beliefs of the government and the governed.
3. Legitimacy must be demonstrated by an expression of consent on the part of the governed.
Two key features of the legitimation process:
- Existence of elections and party competition (system through which popular consent can be exercised).
- The existence of constitutional rules that broadly reflect how people feel they should be governed.
- Higher grades + faster learning
- Never study anything twice
- 100% sure, 100% understanding