- This summary
- +380.000 other summaries
- A unique study tool
- A rehearsal system for this summary
- Studycoaching with videos
A snapshot of the summary - The Islamic world
1 The islamic world, a cultural region
Why is Mecca the holy city?Because it is the birthplace of the profet mohamed, who thauth Muslims how to live.
Where areMohammed's teachings written in ?
In the Koran
What are the five rules of the Koran?
1. Shahadah (confession of faith): there is one God Allah and Mohammed is his prophet.
2. Salat (prayer): pray five times a day facing Mecca.
3. Zakat (charity): give money or food to poor people.
4. Swam (fasting): no drinking, eating or smoking between sunrise and sunset during the month of Ramadan.
5. Hajj (pilgrimage): everyone who is healthy and has enough money must make a pilgrimage to Mecca once in his life.
Why do the Muslims live in the East and North of Africa?In the seventh and eighth century parts of the Middle East and North Africa were taken over by Muslim armies from the Arab city of Mecca. Most of the people then became Muslim
What is the effect of the new religion?They learned more about the arabic culture inculding the language.
Why was the Arabic language so important?Because the Koran is in Arabic the language of Mohammed.
What is a cultural region?A place where people shared the same religion, language and customs.
Is there really one cultural region in the Islamic world?There are different religious groups within Islam. The two largest are the Sunnis (75%) and the Shiites (23%) they have different ideas about religion. There are Muslim fundamentalist among both.
What believe Muslim fundamentalists?They believe that their ountry should be run according to the strict laws of Islam.They hate modern ideas. There are many believers in fundamentalism, especially among the poor people in the Islamic world.
Name three countries in the Islamic world where Arabic is not the official language.